Monday, November 4, 2013

U is for ...

…. UGG.

A shame, really, that a word, or rather a sound, which many associate with defeat and resignation makes me so utterly happy.

Ugg.  My Uggs.  Oh, my dear sweet Uggs.

What must be about 20 years ago I broke a bank I didn't have and bought a pair of Ugg slippers.  A dumb, frivolous purchase that I regretted for as long as it took UPS to deliver them to my door and put them on my feet.

Ugg.  My Uggs.  Oh, my dear sweet Uggs.

It's not normal, really.  The sheer comfort I get from these, now some 20 year old, slippers.  This says about as much about these slippers as you need to know.  For a person who throws or gives away most of everything, I will not let these slippers go.  They are tattered.  Torn.  Ripped.  Wrecked.  They are perfect.

Ugg.  My Uggs.  Oh, my dear sweet Uggs.

I open my door, literally kick off my shoes and slide my tortured souls into these babies.  And, just like that, I am wrapped in a cozy blanket drinking hot chocolate being serenaded by Bono. I have, on more than one occasion, left my house with them on, only noticing that something was amiss when I reached my lobby.  At least I noticed.

Ugg.  My Uggs. Oh, my dear sweet Uggs.

Sometimes I think I should just get a new pair - I mean, these guys are ratty and now, after all these years,  about 2 sizes too big.  They're rather embarrassing. And I'm sure full of weirdo germs.  ?  But how can I?  What would I do with these ones?  The garbage is no place for my slippers.  I'd donate them, but who would be worthy of them (and, more realistically - that would be gross)?  So, they stay.  On my feet.  Waiting for me every night.  Like reliable slippers should.

Ugg.  My Uggs.  Oh, my dear sweet Uggs.

Maybe it's strange, to have such a connection to a pair of slippers.  I'm not 90.  Perhaps it's weird, to be so comforted by something so warm & fuzzy.  I'm not 5.  But I'm definitely somewhere in between.  Somewhere in between being young and silly and completely fancy - free and old and crotchety and somewhat out to lunch.  So, take comfort in my slippers I will.  Get new ones, I won't.  Stop talking like Yoda, oh, fine.

Ugg. My Uggs.  Oh, my dear sweet Uggs.





U is for …. Ugg.


No comments:

Post a Comment