Saturday, November 23, 2013

W is for …

… Wicked.

Wicked, of course, is a word whose meaning has evolved somewhat over the years.  Traditionalists like me poo-poo modern definition flip flops of our vocabulary, where bad now means good and, well, wicked can mean awesome.

Wicked is synonymous with awesome in only one specifically defined way:  when we're talking about the musical.  The musical Wicked is simply one of the most wicked awesome things you'll see on stage and if you don't know what I'm talking about, I suggest you fly yourself to New York City this instant and prove me right.

I've seen Wicked far too many times to mention.  I've fallen in love with Idina Menzel.  I often wonder if tiny powerhouse Kristin Chenoweth shops in the children's section for her clothes.  But mostly, I listen to the soundtrack, full of emotional gut wrenching songs that speak to the misfit in all of us.

So when I hear the word wicked.  I think of Wicked.  I think this is pretty wicked.





A song is truly great if it works outside the context it was written in.  Don't doubt Defying Gravity for a nanosecond.  Listen to Idina, singing at our own Koerner Hall, in November of 2011.  It's okay if you cry.  I always do.



I know, wicked.

W is for … Wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment