Monday, September 12, 2016

tiff2016 - it's what we do

Moonlight

Directed by: Barry Jenkins
Starring: Mahershala Ali, Naomie Harris, Trevante Rhodes, Andre Holland, Janelle Monae, Ashton Sanders, Jharrel Jerome, Alex Hibbert, Jaden Piner

If I never see another movie again it will be okay because I've seen this one. My mind wanders to scenes, and I start to cry.  I try describing the story, and I start to cry.  Great art transcends the artists initial meaning and speaks to the viewer in a personal way.  For me, Moonlight is simply about the importance of finding people - or that person - that gets you even when you don't get yourself.  Our path to this is often fraught with loneliness and self doubt.  Told in three tranches of a very troubled life, lead character Chiron's path was tortured from the get go. Growing up on the wrong side of everything in Miami, he's just searching for anything to hold onto, anything to make sense.  He thinks he finds it, then loses it, again and again.  He has no one.  My heart broke watching this 8 year old boil hot water for his own bath,  the 16 year old get pummelled by bullies and, finally, the adult express true emotion to his person.  Moonlight was intense, immersive, beautiful and real.  I thought perhaps my complete emotional breakdown here was due to the state my heart and head are in right now, but I know that's not it.  Moonlight got under my skin because we all have a story that we may not choose to expose, but when we do - to the right person, to our person - it's the most beautiful thing.  Jesus Christ, I'm crying right now.  Barry Jenkins is a genius.

Certain Women

Directed by:  Kelly Reichardt
Starring: Laura Dern, Michelle Williams, Kristen Stewart

Just.  No.  Boring and disconnected.  I don't care how good the performances were.  These actresses were not given much to do and I couldn't bring myself to care about any of them.  My mind kept drifting back to Moonlight.   I think the only thing that could have made it worse was if it was in Swedish.  Without subtitles.  Just.  No.

Loving

Directed by:  Jeff Nichols
Starring: Joel Edgerton, Ruth Negga

True story of Richard & Mildred Loving who led a legal battle which resulted in the Supreme Court overturning the prohibition of interracial marriage.  Big story.  Compelling story.  Relevant story.  What a disappointing film.  The "action" felt cold and detached.  Joel & Ruth lacked chemistry (my movie critic in training Mom thought so too) and this one just fell flat.  Disappointment of the festival thus far.

It's Only The End of the World

Directed by: Xavier Dolan
Starring: Gaspard Ulliel, Marion Cotillard, Vincent Cassel, Lea Seydoux

All hail King Dolan.  Holy crap this guy.   The Quebec wunderkind has done it again.  He takes us to to anywhere, anytime as a prodigal son returns home after 12 long years.  Why has he returned?  What news to tell his estranged family?  His secret is never revealed to them because they're all too busy yelling and talking to actually communicate with each other.  Think about that.  They're all too busy yelling and talking to actually communicate with each other.   It's a family drama on steroids, with (as per usual) an amazing soundtrack and top notch performances from the entire cast.  Can we all fall in love with Marion Cotillard again please?  And then let's stop yelling and talking and communicate with each other.  King Dolan says so.  *

*Really not sure what's happening with the formatting here, but I hope you'll forgive me.  Sugar & caffeine are running amok on my skin, my eyes are bloodshot from all my crying and I'm almost walking like an 80 year old pregnant lady.  God, I love this time of year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment