Sunday, November 25, 2012

Simply The Best

I am Chandler Bing.

I am Chandler Bing in the fact that I can't with any great clarity describe what I do.  No one really knows what I do. I long for a one word career - Lawyer, Doctor, Mime  - but, alas, no not me.  It's convoluted and requires some back knowledge and it usually ends up with a "oh, right, you work at a bank".  Um, not really, but whatever, who cares.  I have  a great job that I really like and I'm really good at, so who really cares that I can't really explain it in a sentence or three.

My niece and nephews think I have the most awesome job.  This is because I take a cool train (so young, innocent) to get there,  ride an elevator for a long time, don't have to go outside to get smoothies and can see boats from my window.  God, I love these kids.

These kids are getting a little older now (so angry at my brother for this.  MAKE IT STOP.) and they ask questions.  We need real answers.  So, yesterday, when my niece asked me "Thia Olga, what do you really do for your job?" this was a huge test.

It was serious.  The table was silent, waiting for my answer.  I mean, everyone wanted to know!  What to tell her?  HOW?  You can't dismiss kids when they're curious about work!  Bad answer = laziness!

"Well, Tricia, I solve problems and try to make people happy."

And then, without a trace of sarcasm or disbelief:

"Oh, I get it.  You're like a superhero."

Try that Chandler Bing.

Simply The Best.

1 comment: