Monday, January 7, 2013

A is for ...

... Apple.


A is for Apple,
J is for Jacks,
Cinnamon Toasted Apple Jacks.

You need a good breakfast,
that's a fact.
And you start it off with Apple Jacks.

If you're of a certain age (mine), you're likely singing now.  You're singing just like this:




The infectiousness of a jingle is unreal, isn't it?  How - some 30+ years later - I am and will always be humming this little ditty when I hear the word "apple". 

Is the power that of song?  silliness?  subliminal?

Whatever it is, so be it.  It's pitch perfect nostalgia, taking you back to times and places so crisply, so succinctly, in ways mere words, descriptions and explanations cannot.  Perhaps it's not working quite as the Madison Avenue folks would like as I've never bought a box of Cinnamon Toasted Apple Jacks in my life, nor could I ever get my Mom to (we were a Honeycombs & Corn Flakes household), but somehow I think they'd be happy to know that I'm still singing this tune, and smiling in my memories, oh so many years later.

A is for Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment