Saturday, January 12, 2013

C is for ...

... C U Next Tuesday.

Yes, it is.  It really, really is.  The best thing about this acronym is that I only found out about it two weeks ago (thanks cooler friends!).  Not that it would have changed my life any beforehand, but some things are just good to know, you know?

I don't have a real problem or issue with C U Next Tuesday as a swear word.  I don't at all have a problem with swearing.  I've long dispatched with the parochial notion that those who swear have a limited vocabulary or lack the skills of expression.  Please.  Do you really think "Please stop that, you are bothering me" bears the same resonance as "Fuck off, bitch."  Exactly.  It's clear and direct and when used properly, swearing really gets your point across and hard.  I'm all for it.

That said, there are words that really and truly rile people up.  C U Next Tuesday is absolutely one of those words for most people but not for me.  That doesn't mean I use it.  I don't think I've really ever uttered it, and the reason is quite simple:  as a word, in and of itself, it doesn't sound pleasing to my ears.  It's harsh and cutting and guttural and just off.  It sounds so German.  Now, don't take offence!  Germans may have cornered the market on automobiles, motorbikes, general organization and ruling Europe but you must admit that the sound of their language just blows.  I have a similar thing with the word 'couch'.  I hate the sound of it so much I try and replace it with 'sofa' or 'chesterfield' or simply point, but then people think I'm a pretentious Brit - wannabe or a mute.  So I cringe - speak couch.  (I shudder even writing it. Blech.)

It would be wonderful if all the words we said could somehow sound good.  I'm certain this wouldn't reduce the harshness of feeling in what is sometimes actually being said, but maybe it would lessen the blow. The framing would be better.  Sort of like when you see a movie that really wasn't very good but the popcorn was top notch and the soundtrack rocking - your time wasn't completely wasted.  It wasn't that bad.

It's a complex little puzzle, isn't it:  fitting proper sounds into sentences so not only is our point well made but what's being said - without meaning - flows and almost sings, so even those who don't understand English simply hear metered poetry in perfect little beats. Which is why it's a bit of a shame that the English languages' other most vilifying word, well, sounds rather good.  Wait.  WAIT.  When taken without context,  meaning or backstory this word (you know what word) does have a little sing-song easy rhyme quality that my ear finds somewhat appealing.  Well, too bad for me.  I'm not so focused on beats and rhythms and sounds that I can or will ignore the realities of respect and sensibility. Obviously.

As if we don't have it hard enough.  Thinking of what to say and how to say it and when is the best time and is it okay?  Is what we're saying okay?  I'm telling you we should also be thinking of how what we're saying actually sounds.  What a little C U Next Tuesday I am.  My soul isn't offended if you think so, but my ears sure will be if you tell me I am.

C is for C U Next Tuesday.


1 comment:

  1. You are hilarious! I'm enjoying your ABCs. And I have issues with these words: panties, boob and plop. They sound so bad!!

    ReplyDelete