Monday, November 14, 2011

Offend

I’m not easily offended.  I can certainly be shocked and I’m often sensitive but I can’t say I get offended – live and let live in this Great Society, I say.  There’s room for everyone, right? 

I was on the subway the other day (why is so much in my life subway related these days?) and I was grossly offended.  Monumentally offended.  Beyond offended.

Thank you, folks at beveg.ca for offending the non-offendable!  Have you seen what these people have done?  Their self perceived brilliant ad campaign aimed at making you a vegetarian? 

They are utterly offensive.  Wreaking of self importance and that kind of ‘holier than though I go without and am thus better’ attitude that outrages me.  I will try to explain them in an objective manner, but it will be hard:

So there’s a kitten, and a chicken.  The ad asks why love one and eat the other.  There’s another ad with a dog and a cow, and then a the puppy and the piglet.  This is the campaign. 

Excuse me?  You didn’t just, did you?!  Is it really the same thing?  Eating chicken or eating kitten?  Really?  I wouldn’t eat the kitten because the kitten probably tastes like shit.  And we don’t do that.  Look, I’m not sure who decided way back when that we keep kittens as pets and kill chickens to eat but this is the way it is.   For those that would prefer not to eat the chicken, move along and eat something else.  Stop having a fucking problem with me eating a goddamn chicken.  Stop making yourself feel superior by likening my love of all things meat to the slaughtering and devouring of cute house pets. 

I mean, really, is this all you’ve got?!

Is THIS the way you’re going to get me to think about my meat consumption? 

You know what this ad makes me want to do?  You bet:  it makes me want to eat a succulent burger, with a side of juicy ribs, right in front of your smug vegetarian face.  

Nice move, veggies!  Nice move indeed.

2 comments:

  1. Olgie, you are awesome. I love this commentary, it's apt, erudite, effective, incisive, et cetera. I'm reminded of the Scott Pilgrim scene with the Vegan "Ex", and the phrase is uttered: "Being vegan just makes you better than most people."

    Your blog is INDEED quite well-written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, but then this vegan is busted by the Vegan Police. See - no one can actually do it!

    No matter. You are a dear Matthew Zadow! While I do love all my readers, everyone knows I love those that comment the most. Especially ones that compliment me so eloquently. ;) God, I miss you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete