Monday, November 7, 2011

Superstar!

Oh, how I love me some musicals!  Unabashed, pure, warm- my- heart love.  I saw my first one at age 7 or 8, Annie at the O'Keefe Centre with my folks, and I was hooked.  I can’t really pinpoint exactly what did it for me but I know I was mesmerized by the singing, dancing and hopefulness of everything - that sun WILL come out tomorrow, dammit!  Years later I'm still hooked, more hooked, completely hooked.  I don't think there's a musical that comes to town that I don't see.  Broadway often beckons and any trip to London isn't complete without a night on the West End.  It's a must.  A life must.  Some shows are obviously better than others but overall it's hard to miss with me.  Compelling stories set to music with dance and talent - how can you not like this?  What is wrong with you that you do not like this?

An annual must then, of course, is Stratford.  This gem of a festival stages the most high quality productions year after year and it often angers me that more people don’t partake.  The yearly rosters are outstanding – Shakespeare, musicals, modern finds.  Actors are often in 2 or more productions and this itself astounds me.  Two years ago, the beyond talented Colm Feore played the leads in Macbeth and Cyrano de Bergerac – how did he DO that?  It’s a common Stratford story, these actors are the real deal and from what I hear the Festival is run like a bit of an army camp.  Relentless, and it all shows on stage.   My Stratford visit came very late in the season this year, so late I almost missed it.  But you know what they say about waiting for things right, that they’re worth it?  Stratford, as usual, did not disappoint.

Jesus Christ Superstar.  I’m not going to get into the story - it's about Jesus for Christ's sake - but this isn’t your Sunday School Jesus.  We’ve got political intrigue, turning of the crowd and interesting love triangle, deception, jealousy – you know, all the good stuff.  The production was so powerful and tight and loud with messages of course that resonant well past the biblical time frame.  It was my first experience with JCS live and now of course I can never see it live again – it was just too good.  The music was 70s rock hard, with tinges of gospel, the choreography was innovative and acrobatic and the final scene was oh so powerful most of the audience was stunned in silence.  Listen, I'm not talking crazy here - this show, AS IS, with a brief stop in Los Angeles, is going to the big leagues.  That's right, Broadway, baby.  From what I recall this has maybe happened three times in Stratford history - unprecedented.  Amazing.  Deserving.

You want to go, right?  Now’s when you can get mad at me*:  yesterday was the last show.  I know - I waited so late, and so late to tell you.  All's not lost, though.  Broadway can beckon us both:  Jesus Christ Superstar for you, Book of Mormon for me.  Just say when - I'm there, edge of my seat ready.

*Oh, come on.  You know I'm not going to leave you hanging ... watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p06CgUoH02U

(okay, this link is no longer available).

Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv8y2iJQf_U

But, really, we may have to do that trip to NYC ...

No comments:

Post a Comment