Friday, September 7, 2012

TIFF 2012 - Condensed Mayhem - Volume 2, Connect

I see movies all the time. I love the whole all of it, from trailers to Awards Season and everything in between.  You'd think, after all these years and all these films that it would get old, tired and boring.  Another movie?  This again? But it doesn't and I'm thinking now that it's because of TIFF.  Every year at this time I see movies with a bunch of other special weirdos who love this as much as I do.  The buzz in the air at a TIFF screening is electric - you can sense the excitement of knowing that we're sort of in on something - and it charges you up utterly and completely.  Of course these special weirdos I speak of are my friends, but as we know, like finds like ...

Here we are again.  Left aisle, half way up at the beautiful and historic Elgin Theatre.  I'm jacked up.  MARION IN THE HOUSE.   Cres whips out her iPad and wants to test out the camera, on me.  Of course.  Whatever!  I'm not posing.  I'm looking around laughing and mostly looking and she snaps this:



Before I can see this gem for myself (totally ridiculous & hilarious, right?) a fellow behind us says "oh my gosh - that picture is so cute" ... and after many, many, many laughs, FBfriending and swapping of TIFF war stories, we discover that the iPad is the most perfect sleath camera.  Ergo, this completely awesome shot:


Classic, classic TIFF - a pair of special weirdos meet a similar pair of special weirdos and together find and an even special-er weirdo.

Thank you Scott & Andrea for a most entertaining pre-screening laugh party.  Cres and I are so happy we chose to see Rust & Bone.  ;) 

Rust & Bone
Marion Cotillard

This film was a manifestation.  A manifestation of loss, self pity and the worst kind of anger - the physical kind.  At times most difficult to watch, yet always riveting due to the power of Marion Cotillard and her impossibly expressive face.  I'm not side blinding on this one.  Yes, I absolutely adore her.  And, now more so because of her willingness to not play to her obvious.  This wasn't a 'let's get ugly Charlize/Halle Oscar Bait' part - this was still Marion, but Marion dialed down real and raw.  She tied the film together for me, gave it a soul and as she resurrected herself out of her own tragedy, we, too, rose with her - powered by that impossibly impressive, beautiful, face.

Next up .. Shady Pines & 7 Crazy People.  Confused?  Stay Tuned, we've only just begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment