Monday, September 10, 2012

TIFF2012 - Condensed Mayhem - Volume 5, Together

Sunday was a big day - Mama was in the house! 

I'm convinced my Mom thinks I'm crazy, but because she's my Mom she loves me anyway.  She doesn't really get my life and most of the things I do and wonders (whose kidding who, WORRIES) about why I'm not doing all the supposed normal things I should be doing or should have done with my life and why I'm not trying harder to get these things done.  This is all fine and cool and we don't really get into it much anymore because what's the point - she's entitled to her opinions and I'm entitled to ignore them.  That's the way of your family, a word for me that has come to mean acceptance, love and togetherness.   For those reasons yesterday's films were the perfect TIFF introductions for my poor Mom - up early, in line, movies, lunch, shopping, more food, more lines and another movie.  And did I mention the tears?  Oh, there were tears.  Many, many tears ...

Silver Linings Playbook
Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DeNiro

If I had to describe my favourite movie genre to you I really couldn't.  I don't universally love any 'type' of movie and maybe this is why movies that defy genre are my favourite types of movie.  SLP defies genres - it's a comedy, a drama, a romance, an everything.  The characters are real, they say things you would say.  They do dumb things.  They want to figure things out.  They want their Silver Lining.  Of course they find it, it's a movie after all, but the road there certainly wasn't easy and when they get there the sense of euphoria is palpable.  The tears you shed are of happiness and relief and affirmation that YES, it IS possible.  As a (finally, again) brilliant DeNiro says to a (yes, AGAIN) brilliant Cooper "Don't fuck this up."  Well, don't - go see this the nanosecond it's released. 

The Impossible
Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor, Tom Holland

On the surface this film sounds depressing to the core - based on the true story of a family literally torn apart in the brutal tsunami that raged on Thailand in 2004 - but it's not.  It had the potential to be melodramatic and schmaltzy - but it's not.  It's a roller coaster of emotional highs and lows and for someone like me who really gets into their movies (gasps, screen pointing) I was physically and emotionally exhausted after this one.  The performances were top notch from everyone, especially the young Tom Holland playing the older of the 3 boys.  The action sequences were so real I felt the Princess of Wales Theatre was going to be submerged in water.  The story is a miracle and a classic hope out of tragedy tale.  I loved that the real family this film is based on was there last night - emotional embraces from the cast and director rounded out a very, very powerful movie about love, survival and being together.


Mama!


Tonight I go back to the well of Malick in the hopes of understanding what it is he's trying to say - wish me luck, it's To The Wonder(exclamation mine, in hope and anticipation)

1 comment: