Sunday, September 16, 2012

TIFF2012 - Condensed Mayhem - Volume 11, Stiff

The end is nigh.  And we're feeling it.  In our stiff hips, weary eyes and snarky replies.  TIFFing hard is absolutely not for the faint of heart, spirit or endurance and our week of movie bliss is taking its toll.  What to do?  Suck it up - IT'S TIFF!

Cloud Atlas
Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Sturgess, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant

Saying this film is ambitious doesn't quite cut it.  It's beyond any scope of movie making I have ever seen or could imagine in my life.  Adapted by the almost impenetrable book by David Mitchell, the story weaves six separate but loosely related narratives through history, science and suspense.  Directed by the Wachowski siblings and Tom Tkywer it will blow your mind.  It's the most polarizing film of the festival but it's bold and inventive and it lives up to that insane trailer.  I really didn't want this to suck and it didn't.  Whew.

Thank you for Sharing
Mark Ruffalo, Gwyneth Paltrow, Tim Robbins, Josh Gad

Tough subject matter handled with deftness and sensitivity by Stuart Blumberg, who wrote the equally great The Kids are All Right.  We're dealing with sex addiction and the themes that any addiction brings -  loneliness, self worth, control, escape and eventually making amends.  Great casting, and Jesus Christ I hate Gwyneth Paltrow so much.  Why?  Because she's so fucking perfect.  In everything.   She wasn't carrying the movie by any means,  the whole cast was terrific (props also to Mark Ruffalo's wardrobe) and in the end we just wanted everyone to get better.  I have faith they will.

Byzantium
Saoirse Ronan, Gemma Arterton

Movies like this aren't my bag.  Scary Vampires?  Whatever.  Here, a mother and daughter vampire duo form a deadly pact and, uh, madness ensues?   It was good - gory, gross, scary and dark.  There were bats.  I liked it well enough but I think fans of the genre would be more effusive in their praise.  Me?  I'm tired.


Oh no.  It's happened.  Today is here.  What's today?  OUR LAST DAY. WHAT?! It's our last day?  I'm nostalgic already.  NO!  I hope we go out on a high.  On tap, Imogene (is not my lover)*, Yellow and ... The Master.

*just try to say Imogene without thinking of Billy Jean.  Just try. See. Impossible.


No comments:

Post a Comment