Thursday, September 13, 2012

TIFF2012 - Condensed Mayhem - Volume 8, Yuk Technology

I'm not a big fan of technology.  I'm not talking basic technology like electricity, cars & a PVR, I mean new modern computer-ish technology.  I have no idea how to use it, what it means and how it works.  I fall prey to its conveniences of course but the whole thing just boggles my mind and while I completely see how it makes life faster, we'll have to talk about how it makes life better.

Yesterday, then, was full of irony.  I met my HLM Corinne for breakfast and we spent some time talking about how my laptop is ready for the garbage but maybe just needs a new operating system.  (?).  She's excited about the new iPhone 5.  (?).  I complained about work not leaving me alone on my day off because I'm just a BB email away.  (!!).  We updated our Facebook statuses before the movie.  (obvi.).  Do you see?  We can't escape. ( :( ).

Disconnect
Jason Bateman, Alexander Skarsgard, Hope Davis, Andrea Riseborough

I won't go so far as to call Disconnect a parable, but it comes close.  Telling the story of a group of people searching for human connections in today's wired world, it clearly illustrates just how dangerous cocooning yourself to a life online can be.  It's often easier to connect with a total stranger with the things deep in your heart of hearts because they don't know you enough to judge you, to change on you.  The couple going through a horrible tragedy here do just that - to the point of secrets and lies and a complete breakdown.  It's sad and heartbreaking and all the while you just wanted to scream at the screen "TALK TO EACH OTHER".  A second story on teen bullying gone wrong was equally heartbreaking and while the third, focusing on an underage internet sex ring of sorts didn't quite get me, it, too, drew you in to the notion of how you can feel so close and connected and important to someone you have never met, that you have only exchanged a few key strokes with online. It was terrific to see Jason Bateman (love, love, LOVE) in a dramatic role, even more terrific was he didn't suck or play to his obvious smirky sarcasticness.  Added bonus, designer Marc Jacobs showing some very keen acting chops.  Overall, not a masterpiece but powerful storytelling on a topic we can all relate to.

Today has come to be my favourite day of the Fest - It's Violet's birthday!  We eat, we film, we laugh ... we live in the real life.  Let's all do more of this, okay?


No comments:

Post a Comment