Thursday, June 16, 2011

Attack Of The Intern

Summer in the city means many things to many people – patios, heat, vacations – but to me it means Summer Interns.  The chance to kill some poor kid with all the boring filing and administrative crap you’ve been putting off for an entire year, all summer, for free.  I know, I’m a meanie but truly, this is what Bay Street
is all about.

My interns this year are pretty amazing.  No one’s falling asleep in the storage closet or wearing wife beaters to the office (true. stories) but they are keeping me on my toes in the most annoying way.  Why, you ask?  Because they are so friggin’ EAGER!  Show me!  Teach me!  Tell me!  Look at me! I barely manage to turn the corner and return to my desk after going to the washroom before my gal stops and begs me for something to do, or rate the thing she just worked on.  Sister, please, relax! I am a benevolent master and have no issues with you fucking the dog for a short while, honestly.  This constant attention thing is a bit much too.  Basically, in my office, if you’re not being told you’re doing a bad job it means you’re doing an awesome job.  Really.  That’s how it is.  This younger set needs a bit more and I get it, but come on just give it a rest - I don’t have gold stars or smiley faces at my disposal (although you know I could totally get into this) so just be confident in the fact that no one is yelling at you.  Most of her downtime is spent studying for her LSAT.  Honestly, can’t you just prepare for your real life full time job and surf the Internet or something? 

I really shouldn’t complain about her eager – to – please – ness.  She’s enthusiastic, uber-keen and super smart.  She’s also the cutest little muffin you’ve ever seen.  Today, she’s rocking a look I swear I’ve seen Jennifer Aniston wear on a carpet:  black leather shorts, tights and booties complimented with a gorgeous tuxedo jacket.  Hot Damn.  She looks so great I’m not going to bother telling her it’s completely inappropriate for my office.  I can’t pull that look off in my imagination!  So jealous. 

I’d love to say more, but I really need to wrap it up - I see her walking over and I need to find her something to do.  I feel she’ll be very disappointed to learn I was “creative writing” when I should be doing the ultra important business type job she dreams of doing one day.   Poor thing, if only she knew.  I will save her that life lesson until at least next summer.

1 comment:

  1. ..clearly you get all the good ones...ours seem to spend time either BBM'ing or 'going for a walk'!
    ...and then there was our special case who literaly fell asleep at the desk on his newspaper(of course since his dad was 'someone important" no consequences ensued..way to instill that work ethic!)

    ReplyDelete