Thursday, June 9, 2011

On With The Show!

First Improv show* last night – I know, crazy right?!

On stage where anything can happen, thankfully nothing monumentally horrible did last night.  I think it’s mainly because one of our classmates didn’t show – he’s basically in Improv to legitimize his true calling as a world class pervert.  Talk about (cock) blocking.

So there we were, a merry band of amateur improvers using all the lessons we’ve been trying not to forget since January – No Thinking! Everything for the Why! Yes – And!  Don’t Negotiate!  No Questions! Feel Things! Listen! – we did a few skits got a few laughs and then watched as the more experienced crew took over.  

How was it?  FUN!  EXHILARATING! NOT COMPLETLEY EMBARRASSING!  People actually laughed (at intentionally funny things), I had a few zingers (what?me!I know!) and I think our skits were pretty good. Now, relax, I’m not turning into some late  blooming prima donna off to become the next Tina Fey (confession:  have dreamt of same) but I like this; I really, really do and for a world – class quitter like me that’s really saying something.  

More than that, though, this whole improv experiment tells me that even though I’m not life’s greatest risk taker and I get caught up in the little things and the planning and the impatience of needing to know all the time, I’m open to throwing myself into an environment that is polar opposite to all the things that typically define me.  And when I’m there I’m totally okay with it.  

Thank you, Improv.

*By show I mean a 30 minute workshop, so really, not such a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment