Friday, September 2, 2011

Reinvention

I’m not sure if I’ve uncovered some new social phenomenon or it’s a weird coincidence, but I’ve met two people in the last little while who basically shed every three or four years.

They’re not dogs or werewolves.  They’re people shedding people.  Like their friends.  

I realize this often happens in a natural sort of way many times in your life – you move, grow apart, have a wicked fight and become mortal enemies – but to consciously decide you’ve had enough of everybody and just move on and start from scratch?  I’m suspicious, confused and afraid.  In truth the first time I heard this I thought the person telling me might be a spy or in witness protection.  But, no, they were just some normal run of the mill person who also happens to be a class – A weirdo.  A class A - weirdo completely devoid of substance and complexity.  A shell.

I do like the idea of purging and starting anew – like with a new fall wardrobe or dishes, but with my friends? I don’t get it.  I also don’t get why someone would tell you this, like you’re now in some competition to be the one that makes it to the end.  I don’t need that kind of pressure.  I also don’t need this kind of weirdo in my life, even for a short time.

So, listen up all you social revolving door wackos: stay away from me.  If we’re going to be friends, I’m in for the long haul.  

No comments:

Post a Comment