Friday, September 16, 2011

A TIFF To Remember - Volume 8 - Better & Better

It's cold.  Super chilly.  Let's tuck ourselves into the Elgin and watch some magic, shall we?  Thanks for loaning me your sweater Violet.  :)

Violet & DaisyWritten & Directed by Geoffrey Fletcher
Starring Alexis Bledel, Saorise Ronan, James Gandolfini

Now THIS is how you do your first feature - are you listening guy from Countdown?  Fine, Fletcher isn't a newbie.  He adapted Precious a number of years ago, won an Oscar for the screenplay as a matter of fact, but that was adapted.  Can this guy write his own story?  Can he direct it?  Yes and hell yes.  This was a perfectly unique mixed genre fable, centering around two completely immature, yet old beyond their years, teenage assassins who sign on for a simple job which soon becomes not so simple.  The casting, in truth, was surprising to me - I had no doubt about Saorise (she was Hanna, for crying out loud!) but Alexis?  I wasn't so sure.  James?  He bugs me.  For awhile, I expected him to off Violet and Daisy (see, I can speak mob too).  But he soon turned me around and it all worked.  Alexis and James and Saorise all worked because this crazy story worked.  It was quirky and whimsical and touching and sympathetic - how often can you say that about a brutally violent assassin movie?  There's a dance number in this one too.  Doubtful it'll become an international craze like the sambola, but who knows.  Go see it and let me know.

Are movies in general getting better?  Are the TIFF programmers the best ever?  Out of the 20 films I've seen thus far, I've only not liked one and been marginal on two.  The rest?  Pretty amazing.  Lucky me.

So, sadly, tonight is our last and final night at the beautiful and historic Elgin Theatre, and our last movie with Violet.  Fittingly, we're all going to bawl our eyes out.  Onwards, to Tyrannosaur

Look what I figured out how to do (and just in time!).  It's Violet, me, Cres & Julie outside the beautiful and historic Elgin Theatre.  Love you ladies - it's only A TIFF to Remember because of you.  xo.


Thanks for the amazing instagram edit, Sarah!

No comments:

Post a Comment