Sunday, September 18, 2011

A TIFF To Remember - Volume 10 - Bang

Nine days of heaven.  Can this become my life?  How can I make this my life?  Today continued the streak of fine, fine film making (because technically, the last one wasn't actually seen today :) ).  Gotta go out with a bang, right?

The Skin I Live In
Written & Directed by Pedro Almodovar
Starring Antonio Banderas, Elena Anaya

In the hands of pretty much anyone else, this movie would have quickly turned into a schlocky soap-opera-y eye rolling melodrama.  Pedro, however, makes a movie which is completely disturbing yet incredibly beautiful.  A man - Banderas, who I really don't like, but here, without his borderline swarthy Spanish accent , is absolutely perfect - seeks revenge and turns the thing responsible for his suffering into his ultimate reward.  The story unfolds very slowly. Twists, therefore, are not gasp worthy.  We simply watch them, accept them and wait for more.  There's no wild "dun-dun-dun" soundtrack to prompt us into a suspenseful turn.  Pedro knows we're smarter than that.  Prove him right and see this film.

Burning Man
Written & Directed by Jonathan Teplitzky
Starring Matthew Goode

What initially drew me to this film was good Matthew Goode.  I don't know why this guy isn't a bigger name, why he's not in more movies.  He's solid in everything I've seen him in (Match Point, A Single Man, Brideshead Revisited) and pretty charming in those movies attractive actors have to make to pay the rent (Chasing Liberty, Leap Year).  After seeing Burning Man, I know why he's not a bigger name, a bigger star:  Matthew Goode is great and it looks like he's not even trying.  Amazing.  Our story begins with Matthew as Tom and Tom's a prick.  He's angry and callous and reckless.  We don't really know why Tom is all these things but as his story plays out in non-chronological order, we're given snippets of what made Tom such a prick and then we understand why Tom is such a prick.  Tom's a prick for the only reason you're really allowed to be one:  for that very specific time in your life when you need to re-think and re-balance your whole life and world view because the thing / person so crucial to defining this, and to defining you, is no longer there.  I hated this movie because it was so real.  I loved this movie because it was so real.  This movie took me to places I've spent almost 4 years trying to run away from.  Cres read somewhere that this film was the most depressing film in the festival.  Yeah, I get that, but you don't stay there forever.  Tom can't be a prick for the rest of his life.  He starts to figure it out and we know he will, just like we all do, like we all try to.  And with one of my favourite songs rolling the credits as his battle cry, we know he does.  What's the song?  Go see the movie. 

From The Sky Down
Directed by Davis Guggenheim
Starring U2

This is a hard one.  I've had a week to think about this,  with a killer Pearl Jam doc in between, and I gotta tell you this one was ... okay.  You know I say this with love.  I can be objective.  I am and always and forever more will be a huge fan.  I wanted to LOVE this movie.  I wanted it to  take me inside everything I heard was happening in those fractious times when the band was recording Achtung Baby.  I wanted to hear from everyone.  I wanted juicy tidbits.  I didn't get much of that and ultimately wanted more.  But isn't that what we do with those we love?  We expect nothing but the best from them - we expect the most?  I think U2 let us down here.  It felt like the film was put together quickly and I hate it when "the band" is supposed to be engaged in a project and only Bono & Edge show up.  I know Larry & Adam hate this sort of thing, but guys, come on - it's your freaking documentary.  Anyway, there are 20 minutes of this movie which will give you goosebumps.  I'm going to say that 20 minutes makes this movie worth seeing, it totally does.  Just don't be surprised if it leaves you wanting more.


Kill List
Directed by Ben Wheatley
Starring Neil Maskell, MyAnna Buning

I'm not a huge horror movie fan.  Real life often scares me, why do I need movies to do that too?  I went into TIFF guns a'blazing this year and as a big part of TIFF is Midnight Madness, I had to - wanted to - experience it too.  Maybe I didn't pick the right movie.  I had no idea what was going on here.  There was killing (big deal), a cult (whatever) and some dead animals (yeah, okay)and alot of yelling (people, please turn it down).  I was more grossed out with the violence in Drive. I wanted to be disturbed!  I wanted to be scared!  I got none of that and I'm pissed off!  I am formally applying for my Midnight Madness rain check - how can I cash this in?

Well, today is it.  The last day.  Our swan song.  I will leave the house defiantly singing "One Day More" from Les Miserables.  Fittingly, it's family day - Julie's bringing her girls down (as they haven't seen much of mom) and I've got a friend bringing her two girls down as well.  Everyone loves the movies.  Take me to The Flying Machine !

No comments:

Post a Comment