Monday, September 19, 2011

A TIFF To Remember - Volume 11- Magic & Wonder

We're tired.  Beyond exhausted.  It's hard to form sentences.  I bump into things.  I have bruises from bumping into these things and bruises from something else I did that was really quite dumb that I'm not going to tell you about.  I blame my exhaustion.  Can we make it?  Can we see this through?  Hell YES.  Kudos to Julie, our personal TIFF programmer, for selecting the most perfect film to cap off the most amazing 10 days.  A film with a simple story that you really don't need to pay attention to, you just need to sit back watch and listen to the magic and the wonder ...

The Flying Machine
Directed by Martin Clapp & Dorota Kobiela
Starring Heather Graham, Lang Lang

I was in for this one from the beginning.  I love kid's flicks.  I'm thankful that many of my friends have kids and now I have a niece & nephews so I can take these kids to kids movies and I don't feel like a weirdo sitting as an adult alone in kids movies.  But, then again, with pals like Jess and Cres I don't think I would ever be sitting alone in a kids movie as they love them too.  Phew.  So, Flying Machine is one of these crazy techie marvels:  3D; Animation;Live Action; Claymation.  All at the same time.  Wowsers.  The whole thing is set to the music of Chopin and admittedly I'm not all that for classical music.  Most of it, to me, sounds like violins at war.  It stresses me out completely.  I know, I am so low brow.  But you know what?  Chopin, at the hands of Lang Lang, on that piano was beautiful.  So beautiful.  I am converted.  Or at least Chopin converted.  There were many moments during the movie when I simply wanted to close my eyes and listen, but how could I do that with all the amazing stuff happening before my eyes?  There were balloons and flowers and a world tour so magical I, too, wanted to be on that flying machine.  Is that not the best kind of feeling in a movie - when you want to be IN the movie?  The director told us at the Q and A afterwards that a wondrous shot (not telling) took them 10 months to put together.  This shot lasted 2 minutes.  Can you imagine that?  The painstaking determination and patience required to do that?  Thanks, man.  It was worth it.  Lest you think I've gone all soft, I will say that The Flying Machine absolutely and completely proved that Heather Graham is one crummy actress.  So there's that.

Today, we're all set for.  Oh.  Hang on.  Nothing.  We're set for nothing.  It's just going to be a plain old Monday.  NO!  NO!  Take me back there.  Take me back to the movies!  Maybe this will help ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ai39pJXMY

Look out, my official TIFF To Remember Wrap Party is, as they say ..... Coming Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment