Sunday, September 11, 2011

A TIFF To Remember - Volume 4 - Flaws

What draws you to films?  Is it the actors, the story, what happens to be playing?  For me, the movies I love most are the ones which portray people just trying to figure their shit out - stories like this can play out any genre and draw me in because they make me feel unified with the greater cosmos:  I, you, everyone, somehow, someway that's what we're all trying to do.  We're all trying to figure our shit out.  Today, mostly everyone was trying to figure their shit out.

Friends With Kids
, Directed & Written by Jennifer Westfeldt
Starring Jennifer Westfeldt, Adam Scott, Maya Rudolph, Chris O'Dowd, Kristen Wiig, Jon Hamm, Megan Fox, Ed Burns.

I loved this film.  Jason loved this film.  Everyone in the theatre loved this film.  When I can laugh and cry during a movie, it's a hands down winner. The story here was quite simple: the ups and downs and turnarounds of a group of friends and how they deal with having kids.  And how two of these friends deal with having their own kid.  Marriages are strained, friendships tested but through it all everyone is just working really figuring out how to make it work.  The script was crackerjack and perfectly played by everyone (even Megan Fox who I think ate her only white carbs in life during filming of this movie - mashed potatoes in a dinner scene - way to go Megan!).  Adam Scott, Jon Hamm, Megan Fox and Jennifer Westfeldt were on hand for a Q and A and Jennifer left everyone in awe - gorgeous, funny, smart, talented, gracious and simply perfect.  Jon Hamm is one lucky dude.  Now, I must tell you, I don't think anyone can rock hangover stubble like Jon Hamm.  Off movie topic, I was actually Hammified this morning and lost my Blackberry. Yup, fell right off my lap, left the theatre without it, suffered a mild panic attack two blocks away and ventured back in to find it.  ThankS God it was there and I'm sorry that I broke the rib of that amazing TIFF volunteer with the most meaningful hug ever ... Oh, Jon Hamm!  Can you imagine if Ed Burns was there too ?! He's my ultimate favourite.  Did you know that?  He is.  Love.  Ed.  Burns.  Okay ... go see Friends With Kids - it will be impossible for you not to relate to at least one character in the film.  It will be impossible for you not to laugh out loud.  The crying depends on you, I don't know what you're made of, but, I can guarantee a sense of warm fuzzy seeing NYC at Christmastime.

The Descendants, Directed by Alexander Payne
Starring George Clooney

I know you're all going to think I loved this movie because of George and you know what - you're damn right.  But it's not because of the George of George, it's because outside George's old style Hollywood glamour, the villa in Como, perfectly cut suits, save the world endeavours and the coolest life known to man is a remarkably talented actor.  That face!  Those lines!  Those eyes!  So, so expressive and so unafraid to show us the kind of pain and despair that happens to a man when he realizes his life isn't exactly what he thought it was.  In a spirited Q and A, (studly) Cameron Bailey, co-director of TIFF, asked Alexander Payne why he was always drawn to stories of flawed men. Payne took great exception to this, telling him that we are all flawed.  Who is not flawed.  We're not super heroes - he's simply telling real stories of real pain and the real human condition.  George asked if they'd like to take it outside.  It was cute, but point taken.  This was a very human story - moving and tragic, yet hopeful, tinged with humour.  You'll be hearing alot about this one and I know you're going to see it.

Drive, Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
Starring Ryan Gosling, Bryan Cranston, Cary Mulligan, Albert Brooks

Ryan Gosling is one versatile actor - now we know he can play a romantic lead AND a guy who can kill you using a shower rod or the heel of his boot.  His character, the lead, known only as Driver, was obviously completely complicated and screwed up.  I don't think he wanted to figure it out.  Why?  I dunno.  I do know Drive was pretty gruesome.  It's also pretty slick, styled and moody, with a killer soundtrack.  I need to think about this one a little more.  Shock value was high.  Acting stellar.  But I'm not sure it came together enough for me.  In the Q and A, director Refn said he wanted to make a movie that was a cross between Steven King and John Hughes.  What does that mean?  He's nuts, but funny and the cast - Gosling, Cranston and Brooks - who were at the session obviously had loads of fun making this picture.  Loved Gosling chiding Brooks for never having seen Breaker High.  Go see for yourself, but make sure you know the person you end of sitting beside as you'll likely spend some time curled up in their shoulder merely listening to the sounds of death.  Thanks Cres!

Fittingly, today on the 10th Anniversary of September 11th, it will be a sombre day at TIFF.  TILDA SWINTON?!, In We Need to Talk About Kevin, plays the mother of a teenage boy responsible for a school massacre.  After that, it's Tilda in an hour live Q and A session.  Tonight, my annual holocaust movie, In Darkness and we wrap it all up with Anonymous (let's hope this 'Shakespeare is a hack movie' lightens things up a bit).

Onwards - A TIFF To Remember, and a triple shot Americano, await! 

No comments:

Post a Comment