Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A TIFF To Remember - Volume 12 - Wrap Party

So here we are.  It’s over.  10 days of movies, movies and more movies.  It was, as they say, a blast.  It’s impossible not to find common threads when you see 25 (only) movies over 10 days.  Of course there was much to say about the human spirit.  Plenty going on with finding your place in the world.  But there was also lots of sex and lots of death.  Not normal sex and not normal death.

We had Sewer Sex, Stripper Sex, Lesbian Sex, Self Sex, Cathar Sex, Chicken Sex, Machine Sex, Backseat Sex, Make-a-baby Sex.  All that and we didn’t even see Shame.

We learned about lots of different ways to kill people, like by drowning, or with the heel of a boot, shower rod, can of pumpkins, fire extinguisher, hammer (twice), bow and arrow and a plain old boring gun.  As an extra bonus, things to do with that dead body:  rat foot, a shower platform and dance floor.  

I’m not sure which would be more helpful to spice up your particular life, but there you go.  The movies are such an educational medium.

You don’t see 25 (only) movies in 10 days and not love movies.  Thankfully, after 10 days and 25 (only) movies I can still say I love the movies.  But not just the movies themselves – I love the actual going to the movies, the dark theatre, the smell of popcorn, the trailers (my favourite part!) and I love talking about the movies.  We watch movies alone, yes, but movie – going is a very social thing.  I realized this definitively during TIFF – whether waiting in line or waiting for the movie to start, everyone is talking.  Talking about movies.  What was good, what was bad, what to see, what to skip.  It’s full on and you have to love it.  I love it.  The Posse loves it.  Most of my friends do too.  I also learned that above all else it’s the written word – the story – that’s going to get me in the end.  It all starts there, with an idea that comes to life and is brought to life by some pretty talented people.  Sometimes these ideas come to life like magic and sometimes, well, they don’t.  But that’s okay.  You can’t win them all.  We won most of the time this year, though – only one dud and 2 average films in the 25 (only).  I say that’s pretty damn excellent, and merely a tip of the iceberg because there was so much more amazing stuff we didn’t get a chance to see!  The bar’s been set pretty high. 

This TIFF To Remember was pretty special.  The films, of course, but the escapades and the laughs and the covert meals and the tears and the precision timing and the fun, fun, fun.  You know I’d do it all again.  WILL do it all again and I know the Posse will be there again.  We were made for this stuff.  We live for this stuff.

So, tell me, what are we seeing this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment