Saturday, September 17, 2011

A TIFF To Remember - Volume 9 - Flawed

We had a big group joining us for our last night at the Elgin - pals of Julie's, The Posse and Scott who arrived completely right on time, sparing me from my 21st viewing of the pre-movie preamble which was fun up until maybe time 15.  That Grace Kelly advert is getting so annoying I may boycott the exhibit. 

Tyrannosaur
Written & Directed by Paddy Considine
Starring Peter Mullan, Olivia Colman, Eddie Marsan

Tyrannosaur tells the story of an angry man who finds redemption in an unlikely source.  This source, too, finds comfort in him.  The film was shot in quiet realism (so quiet at times I had a hard time hearing what actors were saying).  It was superbly acted and brutally honest.  Somehow, though, it didn't completely engage me.  I was shocked and angry and sad and almost hopeful, but I wasn't enough of all those things to take me to the next level of feeling with this one.  I don't know why.  Violet and Julie sure went to that next level of feeling.  The rest of us?  Not so much.  My own disconnection didn't make this less of a good movie to me, it just didn't make it a great movie to me.

Gearing up for a big day tomorrow, starting off with The Skin I Live In, followed by Burning Man and then my first Midnight Madness EVER, Kill List.  Yes, I know, I was to see U2s From The Sky Down again with Effie as well but this company she works for (they fly planes) is screwing with us.  I'm not happy AT ALL.  I promised you a blurb, though, and you'll get it tomorrow.  I won't let you down, like that dumb company let us down.  Dumb company.

No comments:

Post a Comment