Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A TIFF To Remember - Volume 6 - Boys, Boys, Boys

What day is it?  Where am I?  Who are you?  Oh yeah, okay.  Get it the hell together.  I loved yesterday.  Here's why:

Pearl Jam 20
, Directed by Cameron Crowe

I was a huge PJ fan when everyone else was a huge PJ fan.  I've listened to Black more time than I care to admit.  I never really got into grunge, per se, but PJ and Soundgarden, oh yes and absolutely.  For a fan, I knew nothing much about the band, how they came into existence how they found Eddie, what they stood for, what they mean.  This doc will answer all those questions and more.  Better?  Some of the most incredible live concert footage I've ever seen.  Love the band or like the band, this is a complete documentary that will knock your socks off.  We'd expect nothing less from Cameron Crowe.  As an aside, I've also realized that Eddie Vedder and I have the same hair.  Great for a rock star, not so great for me.

Intruders, Directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo
Starring Clive Owen

Coming to us from the director of 28 Days Later, Intruders is a story of the monsters that are born in childhood and how they pass on to adulthood.  It's a horror / suspense so I can't really say too much for fear of spoiling it for you.  I will say there are a few shades of Pan's Labryinth in this one and at the core is a story about what parents do to protect their children.  I like Clive this way - as a devoted, happily married Dad protecting his family.  You believe him. And let me tell you, I could listen to him say the word "sweetheart" for the rest of my days.  I am super thrilled to admit that my Clive Streak continues - he was at the screening, sat 2 rows ahead of me (so considerate!  when I was scared, I just looked over and his side profile provided much solace) and engaged in a great Q and  A where I sat in the front row.  FRONT ROW.  Clive's a man.  There's nothing fey or wee or minor about him.  He's tall and solid and has the most perfect hands.  Enough already.  Sheesh!

Coriolanus, Directed by Ralph Fiennes
Starring Ralph Fiennes, Gerard Butler, Vanessa Redgrave, Brian Cox

Ambitious directorial debut from Ralph Fiennes.  An actor whose face I only really see half of now thanks to Harry Potter.  Oh well.  Everyone was pretty solid but this Shakespeare adaptation about a banished hero of Rome (Fiennes) who allies with his sworn enemy (Butler) to take revenge on the city was, well, okay.  I have a bit of an issue with re-staging Shakespeare to modern times - like, you're so smart and original you need to place Midsummer Night's Dream in summer camp? - but it works here because, let's face it, who the hell knows anything about Coriolanus?  I didn't and don't feel I'm any better for knowing about him now.  Unlikeable main characters make it hard for the audience to connect.  It puts pressure on everyone else, something special has to happen to take you away from your indifference.  That didn't really happen here.  Redgrave, Cox and Butler (who I think must have been on Extreme Makeover, Hollywood Edition - wow, what happened?!) were great, but not great enough.

I really must go ... this morning, I have a date with George Stroumboulopoulos (who I will ask to marry purely for hyphenation purposes) and Michael Fassbender (thanks Patty!), then it's an awesome Happy Birthday Violet Luncheon before KillerJoe, Damsels in Distress and Countdown.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you've seen so many movies you've liked before seeing "Coriolanus", which was your first non-amazing movie. Good reviews, by the way, just the right amount of info without giving it away. Hate when they do that. If you could be my private movie reviewer, that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realizing this is the only day we didn't see a movie together.

    ReplyDelete