Thursday, September 15, 2011

A TIFF To Remember - Volume 7 - Blind

Okay … we are past the halfway point of A TIFF To Remember.  I haven’t eaten a vegetable in 5 days.  I come home at night, get undressed and popcorn flies out of my clothes.  I hate Dasani water. I’m breaking out.  I think my skin is grey, but I can’t really tell because my eyes are itchy/blurry. I'm pretty sure my teeth are yellow from all the coffee.  Dishes are in my sink.  I can't really see my dining table for my unopened mail, ticket vouchers and crap.  Shoes are piled up in my foyer.  My hips hurt.  My back hurts. 

I am having the best fucking time.

Butter
Directed by Jim Field Smith
Starring Jennifer Garner, Ty Burrell, Olivia Wilde, Ashley Greene, Rob Corduroy

Who knew the world of butter carving could be so competitive?  Who knew Butter would be so fun?  Jennifer Garner was pretty great even though I sort of got the feeling she was playing herself.  When I don’t picture her in secret agent kick-ass Sydney Bristow mode, I see her this way:  tightly wound and completely OCD.  I can totally see her bossing Ben around like she bossed around whatever her husband’s name was in the movie (Phil from Modern Family playing another cuckolded husband – dude, seriously, branch out).  Anyway, the movie was fun and funny and a bit crass.  Underlying the fun and funny and crass was a pretty great message, but you don't need to look for that all time.  Sometimes it's just nice to go to the movies and laugh at the absurd.  That's what I did with Butter.  Also, any movie with outtakes gets a thumbs up from me.

Jeff, Who Lives At Home
Written & Directed by Mark Duplass and Jay Duplass
Starring Jason Segal, Ed Helms, Judy Greer, Susan Sarandon

Admittedly, I am not cool.  No, Julie, I don't know one song that Mumford & Sons sing. No, Jason, I have no idea who the Duplass Bros are.  Well, apparently Mumford & Sons are a pretty great band and the Duplass Bros (Mark & Jay) are creative geniuses.  Julie and Jason have TIFF bonded - this makes me happy, but also worried because now that they've found each other, why do they need me?  Anyway, those Duplass Bros really are creative geniuses.  I went into this movie blind and came out the other side having laughed, cried and feeling all warm and fuzzy.  At the risk of you thinking I’m lazy, I’m going to do the same to you:  I’m not saying a thing. You're going to go see it just like I did – blind – and you’re going to love it, just like I did.  Now, I should really youtube Mumford & Sons, right?

Tonight, it's Violet & Daisy.  Teenage Assassins?  I'm in ....

1 comment:

  1. You are cool Olga. Never doubt it for a second. That said, YouTube Mumford and Sons....

    ReplyDelete