Thursday, January 13, 2011

Own Your Guilty Pleasure

I'm Greek.  I have a Greek mother.  I know guilt.

Guilt makes you do things you might not want to do.  Guilt makes you feel bad when you try to take a stand and not do that thing you didn't want to do.  Guilt comes at you like a freight train when you actually don't do that thing you didn't want to do.

Why would I want to feel guilty about something I actually do?  Something I actually like?  Something that pleases me?  

It's over! From this moment on I am owning my (formerly guilty) pleasures.  I don't care how unhip and nerdy they are.  The more embarrassing, the better.  They will no longer be whispered or hidden - they will be freed and enjoyed alongside all the other seemingly acceptable things I like and do.  All my pleasures will unite in non-judgmental happiness.

Seems like a good time to share some of these (formerly guilty) pleasures, yes?  No surprise, most are entertainment related.  I guess it's here where people can really let their cool shine, me, not so much.  I don't need to discover the next new hot band because that's what my cooler friends are for (and I'm too busy still listening to Depeche Mode).  Anyway, here goes:

I really dig 80s power rock.  Like Def Leppard and Whitesnake;

I have recently discovered a little crush on Josh Groban (admittedly, his recent singing of Kanye West tweets has moved him into the pleasure mainstream for many);

I LOVE EASY ROCK.  The more lame-ass the love song, the better;

(I can usually be seen in my car banshee singing, as is my style, to the above - also a (formerly guilty) pleasure.)

I PVR Hawaii Five O and suffer through some really dumb plots waiting for Alex O'Loughlin to take his shirt off;

I love a good figure skating competition;

I love buying dishtowels.  I'm not really sure why;

I religiously watch Brothers & Sisters and cry like a baby at every episode without fail;

I love Grape Crush.  Why is it so hard to find?

I am an awards show junkie;

I love Jennifer Lopez.  The actress;

I have never met a musical I didn't adore;

I spent my university years pleasure reading Danielle Steel, and I liked it.  Alot.

The list is clearly not exhaustive, but you get the idea.

I feel terrific - liberated and free!  Try it.  OWN YOUR GUILTY PLEASURE.  Take comfort in your lack of cool and save your guilt for something else.  Like your mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment