Monday, January 17, 2011

Sexy Jesus, Ricky Gervais and Why I LOVE Award Shows

What a raucous evening.  Thanks to that crazy bastard Ricky Gervais, this year's GGs (okay, newbie, it's the Golden Globes) was likely the best award show I've ever seen.  Add some great friends, a live West Coast Blackberry Messenger feed with SFW and free flowing wine to the equation and I don't think I've snort - laughed so hard in weeks.

My night was off to a great start when Christian Bale, still hotly rocking that Sexy Jesus look (which I am finding incredibly appealing, maybe too appealing?), won for The Fighter.  I keep forgetting he's Welsh.  Sexy Welsh Jesus.  Yes.   His speech was terrific, but I do feel anyone from the Commonwealth has an upper hand here, especially when accents are involved.

In truth, though, I don't necessarily watch award shows to see who will win.  I'm not vested.  I have my preferences, sure, but how can you really care ?  I like the aspect of winners and losers - the whole "I"m so honoured to be nominated" business is such pure crap it's funny.  One winner, four losers - next !  Love it.  I watch because where else can you say something remotely critical about the impossibly talented and beautiful Natalie Portman ?  Her dress looked like a used Valentine's Day Card.  Poor thing.  In that vein, Halle Berry must stop showing us her underwear - we get it, you're not one of us.  We bow to you.  Now, put some clothes on.  

In other random musings, I loved how the camera screwed up homewrecker Julia Stiles "nominee shot" when her name was called out for Dexter.  Karma !   And honestly, is anyone more oddly amazing than Tilda Swinton ?  A televisual film ?  Brilliant.  I do think she made Jennifer Love Hewitt's career by just simply calling out her name - how can you top that, Jen ? Can someone make a movie about David Bowie and cast Tilda Swinton ?  Would anything be more perfect ?  I really wish that after the rotten year Sandra Bullock had she would have found a more benevolent hair stylist - those bangs !  Those bangs !   I feel that Aaron Sorkin should save hyberbole like "David Fincher you're a National Treasure" for his scripts.  A national treasure ?  For reals ? I don't know if my heart is big enough for all the love I have for Colin Firth.  But then, I look at Jon Hamm and think, yes, yes, it is big enough for everyone.  It's great to see how two incredibly talented actors can get a tongue in cheek intro so completely RIGHT (thank you, Robert Downey Jr) and so completely WRONG (wow, Matt Damon, you're not funny).  I thought it was impossible for a man to look bad in a suit, then I caught a glimpse of that guy from Hung.  Perhaps it would have been a better idea for him to honour the evening appropriately and wear a tie of somesort? He looked like a (hot) mess, with an emphasis on mess.

So, I guess, I really love award shows because they allow me to get my catty bitch on.  Rage on, catty bitch ... the Oscars are just around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. Olgie, I wholeheartedly agree! Ricky didn't play to the Hollywood egos, he played to viewers like you and I who like to bring these folks back down to "earth"...the raw vicious reality that it is. Ridiculous financial affirmation of their talent is not enough, hence the need for these awards. But there needs to be something in it for us, no? Are they really expecting us to sit through 3 hours of hosted compliments??!!

    ReplyDelete