Saturday, February 26, 2011

Et Tu, Tootsie Roll ?

I love Tootsie Rolls.

In truth, I love all sorts of candy.  Chewy, chocolately, nutty, caramelly, licoricey, you name it it's all love.  Thankfully, my dentist is an all right guy and seeing as how all my teeth have cavities anyway, what’s the harm now?  Damage done!

Teeth may be saved, but I'm starting this new (yes, late to the party again) thing now where I'm actually looking at the insides of things I eat.  Look, look! at what's inside my beloved Tootsie Roll:

Sugar, Corn Syrup, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Condensed Skim Milk, Cocoa, Whey, Soya Lecithin, Artificial and Natural Flavours

(I think the ‘artificial and natural flavours’ bit is a tad of overkill, but whatever).  This is like Superman finding out Lois Lane was made of Kryptonite!  It’s just not fair.  My Tootsie Roll seemed so benign in its simple yet bold wrapper, but apparently this laundry list comprises some of the worst things you can possibly eat. Listen, I know the chance of my Tootsie Rolls being made of flax, kale and pomegranate juice were quite slim, but all the bad things (I tried to focus on the cocoa, but even I can't delude myself that much) ? Why is all the yummy deliciousness in the world actually so bad – it sounds like I’m eating plastic.  Plastic yumminess?

No more Tootsie Rolls.  I will miss you, Tootsie Roll.

This new insides of things is going to get very depressing very fast.  I am saving looking at the insides of ice cream for the very, very last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment