Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Those Emails

I’m not sure what’s going on these days but I seem to be getting a very high number of “you matter to me” “you’re special to me” “thinking of you” emails from all sorts of nice, thoughtful people.

I’m compelled to forward them of course, because the consequences of not doing so (as outlined in the emails) seem quite dire. You can never be too careful.  So I do and I get them back and it just goes on and on.  I will tell you, some of these emails are really quite good – they get right to the core of my schmaltzy sentimentality in the same way picking out a perfect Mother’s Day card for my mom does.  I know, when I’m not completely cold hearted I am one weepy sucker. 

Anyway, these emails have me thinking that while nice to receive I’m not going to send them anymore (regardless of the consequences).  You see, if you matter to me and are special to me I don’t want to tell you this with a pre-scripted schmaltzy email (regardless of how good they may be) - you’re worth my personalization (regardless of how matter of fact it may be). I’ll simply connect with you in some way (an eloquent text : “Time for me this week?”; a poetic email invitation : “Hey!  Let’s do this!”; the ever popular, touching, BBM “seriously, are you still alive?” or, if hour appropriate, a good old fashioned phone call will do the trick) - just ‘cuz.  Or you’ll do any of the above to connect with me – just ‘cuz.  If the gods are smiling on us, we’ll be able to make some plans for some face time – just ‘cuz.  Just ‘cuz you’re on my mind, I’m thinking of you and, well, I want to real life connect with you and, ultimately, you do too.

So, listen, you keep sending them because that’s totally cool and I like them, I do. Just don’t despair when you don’t get any from me.  I will suffer the consequences, but I’m pretty sure that if we’re both doing what people who matter to each other do - just ‘cuz - those are some consequences I’m ultra happy to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment