Saturday, February 19, 2011

I Never

Ever played "I Never" ? You tell someone something you've never done, they look at you bug eyed shocked at your loserish ways, they tell you something they've never done and you do same?  Could expose you as a total moron social misfit, but whatever, those are the risks of playing "I Never". {Full Disclosure :  Not entirely sure this game is real.}

While tippling in this game recently, I began to think it's often not what we've done in life that defines us, it's what we haven't done - and I don't mean this in a regret filled "shoulda woulda coulda" type of way.  I mean that we're defined by the boundaries we set for ourselves while we lay out the parameters of our personal comfort zones, one "I never, and never will" at a time.

It's okay to never do things that disinterest or scare us.  This doesn't make us less adventurous or (eek! don't say it) boring.  It makes us comfortable in our own skin. Comfortable in our likes and dislikes and where we want to push the envelope and where we won't.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Some of my "I Nevers" are lame to the max :  never smoked a cigarette (squares actually come to me for proper measurements); never driven stick shift; never roller bladed or roller skated.  There are things I can take off the list : 2 weeks ago I played my first game of Scrabble and things that will always be on it - bungee jumping and crystal meth come to mind right now, but there are many more. 

I'm good with this.  Why shouldn't I be - I'm not going to say "yeah, uh, no, thanks" to everything.  I never I never said that.

No comments:

Post a Comment