Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Slap In The Face

Everyone needs a Slap In The Face. 

As I’m only a supporter of movie violence, this Slap In The Face actually takes the form of a person and, as such, is figurative.  Your Slap In The Face always has your back and because of this is allowed to be brutally honest.  Your Slap In The Face tells you the things you need to hear and not the soft serve pandering of advice we’ve grown accustomed to these days.  They are adeptly able to wade through your specific issue of delusion, often replete with unicorns and fairies, and see it in its truest form (delusions full of unicorns and fairies) and provide you with the requisite Cher to Cage “Snap Out of It” slap.  Then, you regroup and proceed normally through life all the better and wiser for your Slap In The Face. 

I love my Slap In The Face.  She is the actual to my probable; the hard ‘never will be’ to my wistful ‘what if’; the 60 Minutes to my 30 Rock; the Sara Connor to my Mary Poppins; the .. okay, you get the picture.  I wish she lived closer so the figurative slaps could be in person – there is something about a furrowed brow that really makes me snap to attention - but, she doesn’t so she must cyber deal with me.  This also means a hella lot of caps and bolds which I can handle, but only for her.

I am obviously reducing our relationship to a miniscule aspect of what she means to me and for this I know she’ll forgive me.  She knows there’s way much more to her and me and us than this particular role she takes on.  Obviously.  But sometimes, when I really need it – and lately, I seem to be needing it quite a bit - I am ever so grateful that she’s there for me like this.

I love my Slap In The Face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment