Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mourning Jeans

DENIAL ANGER BARGAINING DEPRESSION ACCEPTANCE

These are the five stages of grief. 
I'm going through all of them somewhat simultaneously as I mourn .... my favourite jeans.

Come on.  We've all got a pair of these babies and once we truly face facts and realize they shouldn't be worn in public again it's a sad, sad day.

You've owned your favourite jeans forever and while they may not be your best jeans or your best fitting jeans they are simply your favourite jeans.  From their most perfect wash, to their magical ability to fit you no matter what to the well placed tears and rips ... ah ... a second skin and best friend.  I wear my favourite jeans so much I'm certain most people think I only own one pair of jeans.  This is actually half true.  I own one pair of jeans that I wear.

Nothing's wrong with my jeans.
WHAT ! NO ! NOT THESE JEANS !?!
I can totally still wear these jeans.
My life is meaningless without my jeans. 
Okay, okay ... I am tossing these jeans.

The rips that used to be in all the right places are now in all the wrong places.  Perhaps on some this would still look sexy cool, on me it looks simply homeless and maybe a tad obscene.  These are not looks I'm going for.  The jeans must go.  Which means a new favourite jean must now be crowned.   The task will not be an easy one - there isn't a pair in the current rotation worthy of the title.  A brand new pair of favourite jeans must be procured, but this pilgrimage, too, will be fraught with obstacles.  Think I'm overstating things? On a recent trip to YVR my bestie and I were favourite jean shopping.  What song came blaring on the shop's stereo as I tried on my third pair ?  U2's "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".  As a person who is really all about signs, this was a big sign.  The road, my friends, will be a long one.

I think my only real solution here is to seek out the same pair of my favourite jeans - it'll be my homage to dating a twin.  This could work.  I will use my trusty Internet.  Yes, I will use the Internet for the forces of good as I try to replace my favourite jeans with, the same pair of favourite jeans.

Great.  Right back at denial.

No comments:

Post a Comment