Tuesday, April 5, 2011

# 6

For a movie buff I don't watch many movies.  Let me clarify :  I don't watch many movies again. Once is typically enough for me, and it's absolutely at the theatre. Home views are reserved for old-time classics,  movie party nights, sick days or someone else's place as I'm too easily distracted to properly focus on a film when I'm sitting on my sofa.

In light of this, while I have many favourite movies, I only own 5.  I won't make you guess, blogs aren't all that interactive ...

The Princess Bride
 (Just last week I told my boss (my boss!) to stop talking when he told me he didn't like this one.  How is that even possible?)
Dead Poet's Society
 
(Inspiring Robin Williams, the promise of Ethan Hawke and a tremendous coming of age movie that gets me everytime.  EVERYtime.)
Cinema Paradiso
 
(A movie about love and the love of movies, in Italian.  What's not to love?)
Love, Actually
 
(I have a Love, Actually Viewing Party every year at Christmas, you should too.  Actually, don't,  just come to mine.)
Gladiator
 (Surprised?  Don't be, it's amazing.)

It's a perfect little collection, well, to me, so obviously adding another to the mix is a huge commitment, a huge statement.  When you only own a handful of movies, they need to say something, to mean something.  Well, this week, I added a number six.

My #6 is based on an Elmore Leonard novel and,as directed by Steven Soderbergh, is not only gritty, but fun and completely satisfying on every aspect of the pleasure meter.  It stars two of my favourites in "never been better never will be better" performances.  Entertainment Weekly (my Bible) voted it as the sexiest film on their "50 Sexiest Movies Ever" list.  It bobs and weaves, it's smart and funny, it IS dead sexy, it's simply
 Out of Sight.

By way of a simple description, a bank robber (George) escapes from prison, attempts to rob a tycoon (Al Brooks), and seduces the female marshal (JLo) out to capture him. But it's Elmore Leonard and Steven Soderbergh so you know there's way more than that going on. 

Along with all the cops and robbers stuff, there's of course the crazy chemistry between George & JLo, as Jack & Karen, who provide requisite sizzle.  We're first introduced to them together as they meet cute while trapped in the trunk of a car.  It's a pretty low key scene, but has just enough of everything to keep you going. Jack & Karen meet again, this time Karen is incapable of turning Jack in when she spots him in an elevator making his escape.  He waves at her - waves at her! - and she's as transfixed in gaze, as he is with hers. She doesn't turn him in - how can she?   You know there's more to come from these two and eventually - finally - we see it all in the bar scene.  This bar scene is crazy - Jack & Karen want it so bad but know as they are they can't have it, so they put their respective lives on hold - just for the night - and allow themselves a ‘time out’ to get it.  The scene is so seductive and the way it's intercut with how the night plays out later on is honestly too much.  Too much.  Aside from all this steam, though, is a clever clever caper film, that travels to frigid Detroit and sweltering Miami (are there two more opposite cities in the US?) with a stellar supporting cast (Ving Rhames/Don Cheadle/Al Brooks/Dennis Farina/Catherine Keener/Steve Zahn/Michael Keaton) that is just so incredibly cool.  Things aren't wrapped up to movie - perfection, it's a bit outrageous, unruffled and almost zany.  It is a most clever,sexy caper film.

There you have #6.

2 comments:

  1. Is this latest acquisition a result of your fascination with J.Lo?

    SFW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're really rocking these anonymous posts. I'm not sure what prompted me to finally buy it, but yes, my obsession with JLo was certainly a mitigating factor. I mean, she's really something. :)

    ReplyDelete