Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Non-Message Message

When someone calls you and doesn't leave a message are you supposed to call them back because you've seen their number on your call display ?

When someone calls you THA-REE (3, three) times and doesn't leave a message are you supposed to mention this when you call them back and leave a message (because this is the proper thing to do) ?

Why don't people leave messages ?

The only person I accept this socially retarded behaviour from is my Mom because being a mom absolves all sorts of peculiarities (ONLY from your kids, not the world at large) and she calls at least 5 times a day anyway, with riveting questions like "is this week's Good Wife new" and "why are you never home?" or my favourite "I've been calling you at work all morning, why don't you answer the phone?".  Pretty cute.

Anyway, I don't know what to do about this non message message.  If you didn't take the time to leave me a message, should I take the time to return your call ?  But then what if you don't call back ? Why did you call in the first place ?  I don't want to wait to see you to find out !  Was this a random phone shout out for someone to talk to or a serious cry for help ? Did you get your answer elsewhere ?  Have you moved on to the next ? Why are you teasing me with conversation ?!

Do you see ?  Do you see why you need to leave messages ?


Get the message.  Leave a message. 

1 comment:

  1. Olga, I feel this is a post where I can offer some education.
    Many people suffer from a syndrome called "Afraid to Leave a Voice Mail". When forced to leave a message, these people suffer from accelerated heart rates, dry mouths and blank minds.
    I occasionally have a mild case of this. If I do manage to get through a voice mail I tend to ramble and say "So yeah...this is an awful message...I'm sorry..."...

    So now you know! :p

    ReplyDelete