Monday, April 4, 2011

Luck

I’ve never considered myself to be a particularly lucky person.  There has been no lottery win.  No discovery of a four leaf clover.  No Lucky Charm (aside from the magically delicious and nutritionally suspicious kind), nothing really falls into my lap without some work or effort.   

Over the last little while though, I’m wondering if this is what luck is – is luck really a random wave of good fortune that taps you on the head every so often to make your life easier for a time, or is it something more?

It’s more – so much more, and I had my watershed moment about it on one glorious September morning when I sent out an email requesting some company on my monumental birthday trip to NYC, and within half an hour 5 friends had booked their flights.  30 minutes, 5 friends.  Done & Done.  This may not seem so incredible, but think of how hard it is for you to make any sort of planned commitment these days – lots of hemming, a bit of hawing, some we’ll sees and let me check my schedules later and by the end of it you don’t feel like going anymore.   I realize this wasn’t all about me – NYC, at Christmastime to boot, is a powerful lure indeed – but the quickness of this YES I’M IN attitude had me thinking that I am one lucky girl.

I am lucky because I have friends that I consider family, and family that I would choose as friends.  Lucky because I know that whatever hardship may befall me in life, I will never ever have to deal with it alone because I am embraced with arms, in hearts and surrounded by people I love.  Regardless of my waves of grumpiness, self-centeredness, foul mood-ness, I am met with patience and humour.  I have the most amazing people in my life that I can depend on in good and bad times, all the time, anytime. This is amazing to me.  This is lucky to me.

Take your lottery.  Keep the clover.  No Lucky Charms for me.   I will work twice as hard for everything I have with pleasure because that’s all gravy – where it matters and when it counts, I am the luckiest girl in the world.

“a friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature” - ralph waldo emerson

1 comment:

  1. Love this post!! Reminds me as well just how lucky I am to have such amazing buds. (And NYC was fab, wasn't it?) :)

    ReplyDelete