Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Power of The Book. The Facebook.

Hi.  My name is Olga and I'm a Facebook Addict.  It's been 40 minutes since I last 'liked' something.

Sounds rather weird, but it's so totally true.  I spent a few days  tracking how much time I spend on FB and the like and I was shocked.  Actually mortified.  For people like me - the easily distracted types with short attention spans and the propensity to bore easily, FB is God.  Or, The Devil.  Hours of tangential surfing and clicking and commenting and looking.  The Devil.  It's The Devil.

I get that it's all fun and perfect brain relief on stressful days, but for me it's become a huge time suck that's taking me away from all the things I should be doing (I have been reading the same book for 4 months.  This is insane.  It's a great book, from what I remember!) and also distracting me from what I am doing (when at home I watch TV and most movies with my laptop on my lap, half paying attention.  I'm not sure if this is a laptop issue or a social media issue or an ADD issue, but I'm trying to isolate the problem.).

So, let's isolate the problem.  I’m saying goodbye to Facebook for at least 30 days.  Done & Done.  I will miss ye.  I'm already panicked about all the news I'm not getting.  All the witty comments I'm not making.  All the events I've been invited to but don't know about.  All the pictures I can't see.  The running commentaries on television shows - that will be the hardest of all! How will my friends and "friends" survive without my crackerjack status updates?  Hopefully this won't be the start of a downward slide to social retardation.  That would be a shame.  But maybe not if it's also the start of a constantly sparkly clean home, back to normal book reading, doing my real life job and a return to focus.

Who knows, I may find something else to distract me and as long as it’s not needlepoint I’m okay with that – I’ll likely now be writing 10 times a day.  Poor you.  I’m sorry.  But I have to do this for me.

This is a huge challenge.  But I'm likely overstating things.  We can get used to anything.

YES, yes we can.  YES, yes I can.

1 comment:

  1. May the force be with you! Its a interesting stat that the last thing most people do at night before bed is check facebook...what did we used to do mmmm! xoxo

    ReplyDelete