Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hello, My Name Is ... Repeat.

This happens to you, right?  You’re introduced to someone – who you have been introduced to a million times before – and they see, greet, acknowledge you as if for the first time.

What up, chump?

I’m not saying I’m the most interesting person in world and how dare you forget me, but seriously? Are memories the world over really that bad? 

I really enjoy calling people out on this.  I know it’s mean and probably not the socially acceptable thing to do, but I simply can’t help myself.

“Carmen, you remember my friend Olga.”
“Uh, no, it's nice to meet you, Olga.”
“Hi Carmen, we’ve actually met a number of times before – terrific to see you again.”

I have had this particular exchange with this particular Carmen at least 4 times.  I’ve told our mutual friend to simply stop re-introducing us but he refuses as he thinks it’s rude in case either one of us has forgotten our names.

What up, chump? 

We can all deal with forgetting a name, but completely forgetting a person? I don’t think the Carmens of the world really care but I do.  I’d like to think that I remember people I meet, even in passing, and even if I don’t I can find a polite way to wiggle out of the embarrassment of not remembering.  A kind and deferential apology, laced with a bit of humour usually does the trick. “Wow, please forgive me, my memory is really not what it used to be!”  How hard is that? I don’t have a problem laying responsibility where it should lie – in this case - at the foot of the forgetful because it is I, the forgetful, that is on the other side of right.  Complete oblivion leading to newfound re-introductions bewilder me – especially with a soft lead in, I mean, come on.  Obviously people generally don’t pay enough attention.  Obviously people generally forget things.  All cool, of course, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to call you on it.   I know I should probably let it lie, I get that I'm likely being petty, I realize that two social wrongs don't make a right, but you know what - I don't care.  We're not apparitions, we're people.  Remember that.


3 comments:

  1. So this morning the parking attendant remembered me ..after a year of mat leave...asked me how I was and if I had a boy/girl...come on this is some random man and he can take the time but yet 'Carmen' can't even fake it for the sake of a mutual friend - way to call them out Olgie!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with the Parking Attendant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once worked with a guy named John who asked me my name every day for two months. It finally stuck. He left that job shortly after. A few months later we ran into each other and he says, "So sorry, but I've forgotten your name." Say what!? I mean, come on.
    And how hard is it to remember the name Olga!?

    ReplyDelete