Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ageing

Don’t worry – this isn’t going to be a deep and new agey piece about how we should all accept the signs of aging with maturity and good humour.  Yeah, I know we should, you know you should, so just do it and stop whining.   Let's instead talk about something more fascinating :  ageing and Brad Pitt.

So I’m watching Spy Game (did you not LOVE this movie? Pitt / Redford / CIA intrigue / flashbacks / turmoil / love / war / friendship – it’s all there, so great).  The film was released in 2001 which of course is just 10 years ago but it’s not really “just” 10 years for Brad.    

I’m not sure what happened over the past 10 years.  You know the Brad I’m talking about, right?  It’s the Brad you think of when you think of Brad:  a really amazing looking shockingly handsome guy – unbelievably good looking, like Great Job, God – you did it!  You have made the perfect male specimen:  a perfect frame to match the perfect face and a really sexy voice as well as the double whammy dual sexy capability to rock a pair of pants and sunglasses like no other known human creature.   I’m not really gushing – this is all universal fact.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I will declare my stake in the Great Divide of Womanhood now as a George Girl.  The Clooney vs Pitt debate is a strong one amongst females the world over – you’re one or the other.  Loving George means you can still love Brad, but it’s not the same kind of love.  My love for George knows no bound or judgement, which is why I would never be writing anything like this about my Georgie (who, by the way, is ageing extremely well).  I have a huge soft blind for George and his dirty little life – that’s love!  Anyway, back to Brad : I feel 2001 will go down as the Best of Brad on film: Spy Game, Ocean’s 11 (don’t get me started), The Mexican (yes, it sucked, but he looked divine).  A really beyond great looking trifecta of cinematic Brad delight. 

After that?  We have beards and goatees and long hair (not Legends of the Fall long, just gross long) and odd head wear, not so great skin and that weird toothpick he was sporting for awhile.  We lose Jen and get The Jolie and a villa full of kids and obvious exhaustion and … we lose the look.  We have lost the perfect specimen.  There was a glimmer in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – you know the scenes - he’s on a motorcycle and then that boat and you think he’s back, but really it was just great lighting.  Tease.

It’s all too bad, really.  For our viewing pleasure, I suppose.  But in a real life way it’s actually rather satisfying, because regardless of the charmed life Brad is leading – what, with his United Nations family, hot sex with The Jolie, philanthropic pursuits, tons of dough, satisfying career and, and, and, we’ve all got one over one him.  How?  Easy! Go right now and look at yourself in the mirror. What do you see?  I bet the last 10 years have been kinder to you than they’ve been to Brad.  Right?  Am I right? 

Okay, fine, maybe not completely mature, agreed.  But good humoured, oh yeah, baby.  I’m chuckling just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment