Wednesday, March 16, 2011

January 1991

Where were you in January of 1991?  What were you doing? 

If you asked me that question last week it would take me some time to do the math, figure it out and piece it all together.  But not today - today I’m armed with a tool so powerful it makes thinking unnecessary and bad memories unembarrassing.  I am armed with:  a mixed tape.  More specifically, a mixed tape succinctly labelled “January 1991”.  The mixed tape, of course, was all the rage back in the day and I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have had the most amazing mixed tape benefactor.  SFW had a mixer (a mixer!) and worked at Starsound(s?) – possessing tools and tons of time, we were soundtracking our lives something fierce. Here’s the track list of this miraculous tape, found in the 149 dust up over the weekend:

SIDE ONE
Ride on Time
Back To Life
Ain't Nobody
Useless
Can You Still Dance
Acid Thunder
Just Started
Get A Life
Reachin

SIDE TWO
Round The Way Girl
Take Me With You
Enjoy The Silence
What It Takes
Leave Your Hat On
Hot in The City
Young Americans
Miracle
Somebody
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
The Rose

Eclectic, you bet.  Surprising, maybe.  I know you’re thinking it – no U2?  Don’t fret , U2 got their own mixed tapes, dream concert playlists, if you will.  

So now, armed with this musical time capsule, I can tell you without even thinking exactly what I was doing at this moment in time in January of 1991.  I was in 2nd year University at UofT taking International Relations at Convocation Hall with the esteemed Janice Gross Stein.  We were learning about the Gulf War Part One but mainly, I, along with SFW (of course, do any great memories not involve her?), were staring across Convocation Hall at the perceived man of our dreams PM (we hoped he was a twin).  These were glorious times, because “All I Ever Wanted, All I Ever Needed Is Here In IR”.  With apologies to Depeche, I still sing it just like that.  We were hitting that place on Richmond on the weekends (GoGo’s?  Whiskey Saigon?) - so we could see new and different people, which is a huge plus to going to university in the city because who wants to see the same old people all the time? - and generally just having the greatest times, although you never really realize that until after the time, right?

So there you go, just like that the power of this mixed tape magically transported me back to a place 20 years ago without a second’s hesitation.  Very cool.  Even cooler?  I’ve transferred this music onto a CD and can take myself back in time anytime I want.  Perhaps coolest, though?  These songs?  These songs haven't aged a bit.  Or maybe my taste hasn't, but I guess that's pretty cool too.  Either way, I can't stop listening to this new CD of mine.    

Amazing Find.  Amazing Music.  Amazing Memories. 

1 comment:

  1. It was Go Go's, then Whiskey Saigon, then Joe, then... CHUM Radio?? Seems weird that the site of so much debauchery is now so humdrum.
    I thought it was called Whiskey a Go Go at some point, but apparently that's a strip club.

    ReplyDelete