Thursday, March 24, 2011

Your Uniform

Do you feel like you dress in a uniform?  While not flammable polyester with a nametag, it’s basically the same thing everyday with minor variances so people don’t think you are wearing the same thing everyday?  

My answer to this question is a resounding YES.

Work :             Skirt / tailored shirt / sweater of somesort.  Repeat. 
Play:                 Jeans / tailored shirt / sweater of somesort.  Repeat.

I have a closet (okay, fine – 2 closets) choc a bloc with clothes that all look the same.  Everything’s either black, white, brown or grey and any real colour is muted and light.  There are no prints, there are no brights.  Stripes?  I laugh at you. I have 16 collared, tailored shirts and 9 of them are white.  Obviously, I have a problem. 

But do I?  I like dressing like a Garanimal.  It’s so easy.  I’ve tried to bust out of my shell a few times but I feel like a fraud – who is this person in the flowered shirt?  I’m a comfort zone person who relishes consistency and stability and I think my uniform – like wardrobe is a reflection of that.   Boring ?  Maybe.  But I’m down with it. 

Now, my shoes on the other hand …

2 comments:

  1. stripes are my weakness. we need to view each other's closets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Saturday ! You're On ! But, you can save yourself the time and just picture a sea of black, white and gray ...

    ReplyDelete