Wednesday, March 9, 2011

So Uncanadian

But is it really?  Just because something is Canadian do we have to like it, even though it’s crap? 

You know what I’m talking about people - it’s quintessentially Canadian with roots ingrained deep in our psyche.   The nation has bestowed it a nickname and the company itself uses our own national hero as a spokesperson (those are some heartwarmingly good commercials, I will admit).

It’s Tim Horton’s Coffee.  And it’s crap.

Gross.  Crap.  I don’t know how the people in charge of coffee (The Juan Valdez Cartel?) actually allow Tim Horton’s to call their coffee coffee.  Are there not standards?  There should be standards!

You all know I love my coffee.  I don’t drink it for its magical wake up properties – I drink it because I love how it tastes.  Bit of milk, slight stir, nice and hot  … I could drink 10 a day.  But I don’t because that’s just excessive and apparently not good for you.  Whatever.

Back to “Timmy’s” – Timmy’s!  How quaint!  This insipid nickname even annoys me.  “Going to grab a Timmy’s, can I get you one?” – Yeah, and pour some kerosene with a lit match down my throat while you’re at it.    NO!  No coffee is better than Tim Horton’s coffee.

I know this is almost flag burning unpatriotic but I will not waver. I’m not a ‘just because’ type of person and I’m not going to drink that swill just because it’s Canadian and it’s on every street corner and really the only drive thru in town.  NO!   I love my country, I do, and my enduring love affairs with peameal bacon and Kiefer Sutherland’s voice prove that.  I just wish my country loved me enough to stop the charade known as Tim Horton’s “coffee” once and for all.

2 comments:

  1. i hate tim horton's fervently.
    funny story though. i was forced to go to one the other day (it was the only thing open) and i had one of those stupid roll up the rim cups. and won a coffee. so on my way to set yesterday i decided to take advantage of my free coffee. and then i won another one.
    and remember, i'm always broke so i can never say no to free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true, and thank you for your honesty. I wouldn't drink the stuff they sell if it was the last brown liquid on earth. I drink coffee because it tastes good, because it smells good. The stuff they sell at Tim Horton's doesn't meet either criterion.

    Keep these blog posts coming...

    ReplyDelete